Q: Convertible mechanism not working.

The mechanism for the automatic convertible top does not work properly.

A: The Nissan 350Z is one of my favorites. Exp...

The Nissan 350Z is one of my favorites. Experiencing any difficulty with the convertible top opening and closing will definitely frustrate the driving experience of this great machine. There seem to be several reasons as to why the top will fail to open and close but all of them easy to repair. Starting with the simplest, repair could consist of just lubricating all the moving parts to reduce resistance in the motors, avoiding over stressed parts. However the more common problem I have seen happens when the motor for the rear portion of the convertible top, referred to as the 5th bar, goes bad. Through my experience I have noticed that this seems to be the weak link in the convertible top for this model. However, before assuming parts are bad before looking at them, it is best to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic who can look over your car from bumper to bumper and verify why your convertible top is not working correctly.