Q: Is a used BMW X 6 a smart purchase ?

Thinking of purchasing a used BMW X6 2013 or 2014 with less than 50K miles. Would you consider than smart or no ?

A: Any vehicle purchase can be a crap shoot. V...

Any vehicle purchase can be a crap shoot. Vehicles that have a reputation for being unreliable or expensive to maintain can sometimes be as reliable as sunshine while a vehicle with a reputation for reliability can be your worst nightmare. However, with a "BMW" emblem on the grille, it’s not a stretch to say that when and if things go wrong, odds are that repairs will be expensive based on the parts costs alone. My recommendations: - If the purchase is from a BMW dealer, ask for it’s service history. If they are not the original selling dealer, they may not have access to any services or repairs that the previous owner may have paid for, but through BMW, they should have access to all warranty repairs or services no matter where the vehicle was originally sold.

• If the purchase is from a BMW dealer, look into having the vehicle "certified" as a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) vehicle so you will have a BMW extended warranty basically.

• If the vehicle is ineligible for the CPO program due to mileage or previous accident, look into an extended warranty through a reputable company.

• I personally am not a fan of the "extended service intervals" - one year or more between oil changes, or, "the vehicle tells you when a service is due" etc. To me, there is no such thing as a "lifetime" fluid. They recommend synthetic oil which is fine. I always use synthetic oil in all of my vehicles but I still follow my own schedule: Engine oil - every 6 months or 5,000 miles. Engine coolant and brake fluid - every 2 years regardless of mileage. Transmission service - every 4 years or 50,000 miles. These recommendations are not simply because I work in the repair industry and it brings in money lol. I do maintain my vehicles that way and recommend others do if it’s a vehicle you want to keep reliably for a good long time.

This is an article with some good information for you. Check the vehicle’s history and if anything raises doubt in your mind, move on to another vehicle.