Q: Differential Grinding noise

Is there a chance that the grinding/whining noise coming from my differential be due to there being no lubricant inside the differential. Or is there not a possibility that the differential could have no oil. The previous owner says that he hadn't changed the oil in the last 5 years.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. First thing you need to do is check the oil in the differential. The lowest the oil can go to is one knuckle down when you put your finger into the fill hole. If the oil is lower than that, it is possible that the differential suffered from lack of oil. If there is oil in the differential, then one of the bearings in the differential came apart and needs replaced. When the differential is out of the axle, make sure to check all of the gears for any wear or cracked or broken teeth. If you need further assistance diagnosing your differential, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with your vehicle.

3. Differential Grinding noise