Belt is siezed? car starts whining as I accelerate and it...

Q: Belt is siezed? car starts whining as I accelerate and it starts smelling like burnt rubber

asked by on May 02, 2017

When I begin to accelerate you can hear a slight whining as if one of the belts seized. Once I begin to go about 30 miles an hour The Whining increases in Pitch and I begin to smell burning rubber. I replaced the serpentine belt and check the transmission as well as my brakes. Is it possible this is a camshaft issue or a timing belt problem?

If noise is suspected from the serpentine belt or belt driven accessories and/or pulleys, just disconnect the belt and momentarily run the engine. If the noise goes away, all components driven by the belt need to be closely examined. If the noise remains, obviously the fault lies elsewhere in the engine. It’s possible for pulleys in the timing belt "circuit" to cause noise but that will be easier to determine once the belt driven accessories are ruled in or out. If you request serpentine belt inspection - noise diagnostic a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will identify the origin of the noise that you are hearing and thence get the issue resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.