Q: I just had my transmission repaired this morning I have no power steering...is this related?

I had a loud squeeling noise and the shop told me I needed transmission replaced. I got the car back yesterday and it was fine. This morning I have no power steering.

The two systems do not have anything to do with each other unless you had to have the steering removed for access to the transmission repairs. I would not drive it and call the place that fixed the transmission so they can tow the vehicle to the shop. It most likely is due to the transmission repairs that the steering went out and it may be unsafe to try and drive it.

Your transmission does not have anything to do with the power steering system. Either of the two would not have any cause or effect on the other. This suggests your power steering pump may be failing or you have a leak elsewhere in one of the power steering lines. The [power steering]((https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/power-steering-fluid-is-leaking-inspection) system operates on very high pressurized hydraulic pressure (in some cases as much as 300 psi). As a result, the pump works very hard to maintain the ability to assist turning your steering wheel and when the pump is overworked due to the rack and pinion not pump fluid properly or potentially due to pinched fluid lines, this may cause it to leak. When this happens, as the pump loses fluid it may cause it to squeal or whine as a result of inadequate fluid. The lack of fluid will cause the hydraulic pressure in the system to drop and you may notice the steering becoming a bit more stiff when turning the wheel. Power steering leaks are fairly common, but should be looked at immediately by a qualified mechanic as power steering fluid can be flammable especially when under extreme pressure. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your power steering system.

• I just had my transmission repaired this morning I have no power steering...is this related?