Q: A loud 'pop' occurred, and car will not drive foreword or back. Did my axle break? 2012 Dodge Journey

asked by on November 26, 2016

We were at a stop, and upon trying to move forward and turn, we heard a loud sound, then some loud squeezing. The car would not move foreword. Upon trying to reverse, it did move back a few feet, then it wouldn't move either forward or back without flooring the accelerator.

Hello - this scenario seems to me to be a failure of a CV joint the axle, or the transmission itself. Turning and accelerating puts a great load on CV joints. If this is no longer a warranty-covered item, I would suggest an inspection of the drivetrain by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.