Q: Seatbelt won't retract. Locked up all the way. No tension at all

asked by on August 08, 2017

Our Granddaughter clipped a retaining wall in a parking lot and the drivers side airbag deployed. There is no physical damage to the car. Took it to a mechanic to replace. At the time we took it there the seat belts were working fine. Decided to take it to another mechanic due to his price (over $1,000.00) which I found out was way too much. When I picked up the car the seatbelts, both drivers side and passanger side were locked up tight. I suspect the mechanic did something to lock them up. Is there an easy fix to unlock them? Thanks!

From the accident the seat belts would lock due to the impact and you will need to replace both the seat belt assemblies to repair the problem. This will include the retractors and buckle assembly.