Q: Service Engine Light is on

asked by on February 12, 2016

My Service Engine Light is on.

This indicator is part of the onboard diagnostics (OBD-II) system, and in all cases, it indicates a problem with your emissions system. Basically, it is an emissions monitoring system. A Check Engine indictor will stay solid or blink.

If the indictor is blinking, the situation is usually serious, such as a severe misfiring of the engine. A steady light on the other hand is not an emergency situation. You can continue driving, but you should schedule an appointment with a mechanic as soon as possible to determine the cause of your Check Engine Light.