Q: Running rough 2002 Ford Focus

My 2002 Ford Focus SE. with the DOHC Zetec engine runs really rough and has loss of power. After running for a good while it will clear up and run smooth again, sometime after stopping and shutting off engine and restarting it.I had Autozone put on computer and there are no codes. I recently replaced PCV valve and tubing because hose was collapsing but this did not solve issue. My car has 116000 miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

A: Hi - rough running can be caused by a numbe...

Hi - rough running can be caused by a number of things: misfiring, dirty throttle body, injectors, fuel filter, idle air control valve and so on. There was a technical service bulletin from Ford for this engine which pointed to replacement of the PCV valve, but you’ve covered this. If there are no problem codes, fuel supply, a coolant temp sensor that is reporting incorrect temperatures, EGR valve that is not closing completely, or a "slow" or lazy oxygen sensor are suspect as well. I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.