Q: RPM sticking during acceleration on a 2004 Fusion

When going on a 40-mile ride trip to get something downtown, with a couple of random times while accelerating in my 'O4 Ford Fusion L4, I've noticed that RPM might stick to one point and won't do anything unless I push it down. What could it be and what should the dealer diagnose?

That thing has an electronic throttle. It’s called "drive-by-wire." Basically, you are actually stepping on a computer mouse and the computer mouse sends electricity to the computer. The computer then sends the electricity to the throttle stepper motor and the throttle opens and closes. Since you stepped on it and it does nothing, that means that the system has broken down. Have someone analyze it and see what’s wrong.

On that particular model, a lot of times it is a bad pedal sensor. I recommend having your acceleration inspected and do it soon. This is a dangerous symptom.

3. RPM sticking during acceleration on a 2004 Fusion