Q: RKE and TPMS problems

Recently I had a DMV inspection, plus regular maintenance, oil, tires, etc. Since the DMV inspection, the remote key system works only part of the time, plus the tire pressure monitoring system displays as failing after driving around 20 minutes. I surely would appreciate your outlook on this and what do you suggest?

A: As strange as it seems, I’m positive this i...

As strange as it seems, I’m positive this is a coincidence. The most likely cause of the remote key system only working part of the time is due to a low battery. The batteries in remote keys do not last forever and when they fail, can cause the remote to not work all the time.

As for the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) Light, the most common cause is low air pressure or the tire pressure sensor was damaged when the tires were installed. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose the source of your TPMS Light and perform any repairs required.