Q: Replace exhaust system

I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee (wk). The muffler is going. Can a new Oe muffler with the welded tailpipe attached be installed without dropping the rear end ?

A: Hello there. The muffler is not a part that...

Hello there. The muffler is not a part that is typically replaced on your 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Normally the muffler will last the life of the vehicle unless it is damaged or rusts. I am unsure of your meaning that the muffler is going, but if the muffler needs to be replaced, it is attached to the rear section that bolts further up the exhaust system. It’s possible to weld on a muffler, but the old pipes would need to be completely rust free for this to be done, and tampering with the length of the pipe can affect engine performance, as engineers have spent much time determining the proper balance of length and mounting point for the pipe. Welding on the muffler would also require an exceptional amount of skill to be done correctly. So, while possible to weld on a muffler, this may not be advised. I would consult a local expert to inspect the exhaust system in person and recommend the correct course of action from there.