Q: Q: Ran out of oil and car is making a tapping noise ?

I had the oil light come up and then the car made a lout tapping noise and continued to get worse! I pulled over and the oil was bone dry, have had the car for 3 days... I filled with oil but noise is still there, is my engine shot ?

Hi There, The lack of oil certainly can contribute to the tapping noise you hear which is likely metal on metal in the valve train area creating this sound. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to inspect your vehicle to determine if the lack of oil may have caused any further damage to your engine as this could be many different possibilities.

3. Q: Ran out of oil and car is making a tapping noise ?