Q: Rear windshied shattered, how does this happen?

Now let me start by saying that I know, living in an area with a harsh winter, that the weather will be rough on vehicles. I just do not understand how a brand new car can have a window just shatter into a million pieces randomly. That very thing happened to the rear windshield of my 2010 Ford Escape. I only have 66,000 miles on this vehicle and I use a different truck for work. I had it parked outside of the grocery store for an hour or two and when I shut the hatch after putting groceries in, the window exploded! It was awful, driving home in the cold and then picking all of those little glass pieces out of my grocery bags. I just can’t get my mind around it. Is this a normal thing? I’ve never seen it before, that’s for sure!

This is absolutely not a normal thing; however, it is not a first occurrence for a Ford Escape. In fact, this event has happened enough times that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) began an investigation involving 2010-2011 Ford Escapes and Mercury Mariners and their random window explosions. Some cases have resulted in injured motorists. An older recall involving 2002-2003 Explorers and Mountaineers exists for faulty window support hinges and brackets. These parts could come loose due to poor bonding materials resulting in the rear window to shatter. Although the question is related to a 2010 Ford Escape the cause could perhaps be similar. Ford has also released a “Technical Service Bulletin”(#TSB-11-2-9) suggesting that some Escape and Mariner SUVs built on or before 10/15/2010 may experience the rear lift gate glass to shatter if exposed to cold temperatures. In order to prevent this from happening again, keeping the vehicle garaged if possible would prevent the window from getting too cold. If parking the vehicle in a garage is not an option a car cover or tarp might be a good alternative. This would at least prevent the window from being exposed to snow. Also, replacement of the rear window supports and additional bonding materials (if necessary) would rule out the possibility of breakage due to those parts. Finally, keep all receipts related to your repair as a recall may eventually happen to resolve this issue. To stay updated on this issue contact your local Ford dealership or search online for updates over time. Whether or not the service is performed at the Ford dealership or by a certified mechanic through YourMechanic, reimbursement for the repair may be a possibility if a recall takes effect.