Q: 318 Won't start. How do you know when a cam is 180 degrees out?

how do you know when a cam is 180 degrees out

Hey there. If you bring the number one cylinder up on its compression stroke and crankshaft set to top dead center, then take off the distributor cap to see if the distributor rotor is pointing to number one cylinder on the cap. If the rotor is pointing in the opposite direction from the number one cylinder then the distributor is needing to be removed and re-indexed to point at number one on cap and then timing should be close enough to start and then use timing light to set ignition timing to specifications. If you are looking for professional mechanic help, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the no-start and guide you through any needed procedures.

3. 318 Won't start. How do you know when a cam is 180 degrees out?