Q: Rear axle replacement on a '08 Mazda CX-9?

My CX-9 recently started making light knocking noises coming from the rear. The knocking has gotten worse over the last day or so. I jacked up the rear and sure enough there is grease all over the inner left (Drivers) side CV boot, the one closest to the differential. The other three boots are clean, so I am pretty sure this is the culprit. Does this sound correct? I see lots of repair guides for replacing the front CV half shafts, but none for replacing the rear. Is swapping the rear more difficult than working on the front?

Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $216.91 - $1118.08 Get a Quote

Hi there. Replacing the rear axle can be a little more daunting than a front axle. The ability to turn the steering knuckle is not present for the rear as this is a fixed steering system that does not turn. Some additional disassembly may be required for this model. I suggest having a qualified technician assist with the axle replacement to avoid accidental damage or improper replacement procedures that could result in a safety concern. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an rear axle replacement service. For more detailed pricing your request has been forwarded to customer service. Please have your vehicle make, model, year, mileage, and VIN ready to allow customer service to provide an accurate quote.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr