Q: Yaw sensor needs replacement

The check engine light came on and the Hyundai dealer said it was the yaw sensor. They quoted a $578 price for the part and $115 to install and calibrate. Does the 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe with the V6 engine require recalibration when the yaw sensor is replaced? I understand the yaw sensor is located under the center console and would be an easy repair if the calibration is not needed. Which is something I could do since I was an auto mechanic in the early 1970's pre-computer era. I could buy the part new from Hyundai for $430 and use about 1 hour of my time to R&R the thing. Do I need to let the dealer do this repair?

Hi there. Yes, the sensor, along with the dependent systems, require what is called a "zero point" calibration when it is replaced. The dealership does not have to be the entity that performs this calibration. However, it is dependent upon the diagnostic equipment that the servicing technician has available. I personally have the tools to perform this calibration, but may not be available in your service area. Before replacing anything, I strongly suggest having a qualified technician to perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts and provide a second opinion. YourMechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a Check Engine Light inspection and can move forward with a yaw rate sensor replacement if necessary.