Q: steering column has collapsed

i have taken my car in to be serviced and asked them to find out why my steering wheel has started squeaking and upon inspection the car yard has found the steering column has collapsed. The car yard have said its unsafe to drive and needs to be fixed asap. they have also mentioned i will need to cover the costs for repairs as it isn't a warranty issue and the only way the column could have collapsed is if the car has been in a hard impact accident. i have told them it definitely hasn't and they also agreed as there is no other damage at all to any part of the car. insurance won't cover the repairs as it wasn't in an accident and warranty won't cover it either, I'm at a loss and I'm not sure what my next move needs to be?

If the column is damaged then it cannot be repaired if the collapse center rod is damaged. It is designed so that it will not push the steering column into you in the event of an accident. I would suggest taking the car to the dealer for repairs in this case. The air bag clock spring may be all that is bad.

If you’d like a second opinion on this or don’t want to go the dealer route, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to the vehicles location and replace your steering column at your own convenience. Best of luck.

3. steering column has collapsed