Q: Can I switch from Synthec oil back to conventional oil?

I have been using Synthetic oil in my Silverado's 4.8 V8 for several years. Can I switch back to a Conventional oil with out damaging my engine?

When you go to have your oil changed next time you can change to conventional oil without any problems. You can have a mobile mechanic like one from YourMechanic come to your location and the oil change for you. The only time you would not use conventional oil is where the manufacturer says only to use the synthetic oils. If it is not specified then you can use either type. Just remember that conventional oil use recommends the oil to be changed every 3 months or 3,000 miles and use of synthetic oils can extend your oil changes to 5,000 to 7,500 miles.

The only requirement insofar as engine oil specified for most production vehicles is API certification for service level and viscosity. Whether you use synthetic, synthetic blend, or conventional oil is irrelevant insofar as the possibility of engine "damage". However, in certain limited operating conditions, particularly, severe service, there "might" be some advantage, in terms of engine service life, in using synthetics. Also, synthetics have fewer, if any, contaminants and thus leave fewer deposits in the engine, which might increase the service life of the engine. Note that for some vehicles, synthetic oil is recommended or required and in those cases conventional oils should NOT be used. YourMechanic does perform oil and filter changes in the field, on a mobile basis, and you can avail yourself of that service as it is both lower cost and provides you with personalized service during which any other maintenance questions you might have can be answered by the Mechanic.