Q: Reading P2096/P2098/P0420...in the past these have came up but are not clearing this time.

asked by on October 04, 2016

Have three codes none of them can clear on their own in the past have been able to add seafoam to gas and problem clears not this time.

The P2096 and P2098 codes are for both of the downstream oxygen sensors. The P0420 code is for the bank one catalytic converter efficiency. It would be best to have a certified mechanic take a look at the vehicle and do some diagnostic testing. They will have the specialty tools and techniques to correctly diagnose and repair the situation correctly and avoid damage or injury. This could be a problem with the catalytic converter or it may be just some oxygen sensors that have failed. If you need help identifying and repairing the issue, YourMechanic offers several options. They have trained mechanics that can come to your home or place of business to perform a diagnosis of the Check Engine codes and pinpoint the appropriate repairs.