Q: Rattling when accelerating

My Fusion will intermittently rattle when I accelerate - it doesn't happen every time I drive, but it has increased in frequency.

As soon as I take my foot off of the pedal, the rattling stops. Any ideas?

A: If it is increasing in frequency on longer ...

If it is increasing in frequency on longer drives, or hotter weather, this may be a worn connecting rod bearing - which will "rap" under a load. Oil pressure drops with heat, so this type of issue will be more noticeable in conditions of greater heat, but perhaps not noticeable at all in the cold or for short trips where the oil doesn’t get hot.

A certified technician from YourMechanic can diagnose the noise coming from your engine to confirm there is a problem, get an accurate assessment of damage, and give you a cost estimate for repairs. YourMechanic can dispatch a mobile, professional mechanic to your location for this repair.