Q: Rattling and bumping noises underneath car & getting worse

My car developed a rattling and bumping noise which seems to be coming from underneath the front or the middle of the car. Four different times, the dealership has tried to fix this problem, but they can’t seem to do so. The sound is the same - no change. One time they kept my car for over a month. The only thing I was told was that Acura was aware of the problem. The dealer thinks it’s the engine mount, but there just doesn’t seem to be any fix any time soon. I searched on the internet and found reviews by many others with my make/model who have the very same problem as my car. The sound in my car is continually growing worse and I’m very concerned about my and my family’s safety in this car, especially on the interstate. I thought I might use the ‘Lemon Law’ but Acura said they would fix it… but when!! It doesn’t look like they will. Can you tell me what to do and how I can get my car permanently fixed?

A: Hello. Unfortunately, if this is not a mech...

Hello. Unfortunately, if this is not a mechanical repair to the powertrain it would not be considered under the Lemon Law. Most of the time this noise comes from the exhaust. In a lot of cases, unbolting the exhaust and allowing it to hand and loosen up, and then tightening it back up will help. A worn engine mount will also intensify this noise if the exhaust is making noise. I usually check the mounts and the exhaust first prior to checking the suspension, as it can also be a failing strut. If you are wanting to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the rattling noise and determine what should be done next.