Q: Radio just does not work and I don’t know the problem

I have used my 2010 Volkswagen Jetta quite a bit since buying it new. The car now has over 96,000 miles on it, which means that I drive long distances quite a bit. Having a radio is really nice on long trips and up until a couple weeks ago, mine worked fine. Then it started randomly making loud popping sounds and turned off completely. Is this just a bad radio or a bigger electrical issue? I'm fine with replacing the radio. The ECU? Not so much!

The most likely cause of the radio failure is the radio itself. It can be replaced with a unit from the dealer, but will have to be reprogrammed to work and communicate with other modules in your vehicle. Before a replacement radio is installed, you should have the system scanned for codes and failure to the radio module. It will save you money in the long run if any another problems are detected and repaired at the time of installation.