Q: Question

asked by on February 09, 2018

What audio system does Honda use? Like Bose, JBL?? Also is it necessary to change brake rotors if it looks good and what about the caliper?? Also can I clean the caliper with a wire brush? I don't want to paint but I also don't want rust so good idea to clean them with wire brush? Thanks

Brake safety Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Alpine and Pioneer have been reported to be suppliers of Honda audio system components but there are actually many vendors and a lot of variance depending on model and type of system. To determine the origin of specific audio components in your specific vehicle would require the VIN number and some research as the actual vendor will depend on exactly which audio system you have (there are many) and which audio options you have.

To determine if a brake rotor is re-usable, the thickness variation of the rotor has to be measured with a micrometer as well as rotor runout (using a dial indicator). If thickness variation of the rotor is not more than .001 inches (equivalent to 25% of the thickness of a hair), you can re-use the rotor. Runout must be less than .002 inches as the rotor sits installed on the hub. The calipers can often be re-used but the slide pins must be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. Generally, rotors must be turned or replaced. A visual inspection is meaningless; the tolerances on these parts are extremely small and obviously no human can detect rotor runout of .002 inches. Honda rotors are recommended as well as Honda brake pads. Unless you want brake pad dust in your lungs, do not clean the calipers dry with a brush. The rust, dirt and corrosion are cosmetic issues only. As noted, though, the sliding pins must be removed, cleaned and lubricated and the ears on the torque that support the brake pads must be reasonably free of corrosion. If you would like an evaluation of your vehicle’s brake system, performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a brake safety inspection and the responding certified mechanic will address any and all concerns that you may have and then replace only those parts that are required to restore the braking system to like new condition. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr