Q: My car is leaking coolant and the heat won't work

Noticed the other day that my car was leaking coolant, it seems to be blowing up to the inside of the hood. The car is over heating because the coolant is coming out, also when I try to turn on the heat to help cool down the engine too, it blows cold air. could this be just a leaking hose? I keep putting water in it when I have to drive somewhere but winter is coming and the water trick wont work much longer.

Hi there. From the description you have provided, this needs to be repaired before it turns into a catastrophic and expensive repair. The coolant leak could be a radiator hose, a heater hose, a bypass hose, the water pump, the radiator, the heater core, etc. A cooling system pressure test would help identify the leak. Adding water only will cause the cooling system to rust in no time.

I recommend having your vehicle’s coolant leak and malfunctioning heater be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. My car is leaking coolant and the heat won't work