Q: Put new brakes on, car feels like its in park when in drive/reverse

I put new front brakes/rotors. I feel brake pressure on the pedal, but when i go out of park. The vehicle doesnt move, even with foot off brake pedal. Why would this be happeneing?

A: Hello. I will try to assist you with your 1...

Hello. I will try to assist you with your 1999 Jeep. Remove the two wheels you worked on. Apply and release the service brakes several times and return to the wheel positions (with transmission in neutral, block rear wheels and leave emergency brake on). Grasp the hub area and try to turn the rotor through pads. This should be fairy easy to turn with only slight resistance due to pad friction.

If there is a lot of resistance, you will need to remove sliding pins on torque plate and check condition and probably re-lubricate with high temperature brake caliper grease. Also, apply grease to pad ears where they contact the stainless pad mounting clips on caliper torque plate. It is also possible that the caliper piston is not retracting in its bore.

Typically, on a car of this age, unless the caliper and torque plate were replaced last time around and you do not see significant evidence of corrosion it does not pay to re-use those parts when you replace the brake pads. You either rebuild them yourself or get rebuilt ones.

However, one sticking point is if you decide to replace the calipers you have to figure out which rebuilder will actually supply a usable part. Rebuilt parts are not created equal since manufacturing standards are all over the map. The last two sets of calipers (loaded calipers) that I bought for my own personal vehicles were AC Delco.

I do see AC Delco calipers in the catalog for your vehicle and therefore strongly suggest you use those. If you are changing calipers, consider YourMechanic, too, because if you request it the technician will bleed your entire brake system as part of the job which is good preventive maintenance because brake fluid is hygroscopic. Keeping the moisture out promotes the longevity of all brake system components. Hope this helps and best wishes getting this resolved.

Recommended services
Get a Quote