Q: Puff blue smoke on startup

asked by on September 05, 2016

i need help locating the pcv valve on my truck. i think i need to replace it. i get a puff of blue smoke on startup.

Your engine does not have a PCV valve. The engine is equipped with crankcase vent tubes that do not need replaced or cleaned unless line is broken. You may have valve seals that are leaking oil into the exhaust valve outlet and when you start the engine it’s sending the oil smoke out of the tail pipe. The valve guides and valve seals need to be checked. Not much to can be done unless cylinder heads are removed. I’d suggest shaving a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the smoke firsthand for an accurate repair.