Q: 2005 Jeep Wranler Sport - showing P0700 code - how do I differentiate betwen a PC or transmision problm>

Code P0700 (as well as codes 1604, 0073 and 0613) are coming up on my 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport. The automatic gears sometime stick in second gear. Can you advise whether it sounds like it is a PCM or transmission problem and how do I find out which one it is? How would I test a PCM to see if its working or, alternatively are there any test for the transmission that would prove the PCM is faulty and not the actual gearbox? Many thanks, Heidi

Hi there. P0700 is set when the PCM detects a malfunction in the transmission control system. This malfunction causes the vehicle to set a Check Engine Light and trigger a failsafe mode. Once the failsafe mode is set it will remain until the fault is repaired or normal operation is detected. The best way to determine whether this is a TCS malfunction or due to mechanical or electrical glitches is to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a check engine light inspection. When they arrive, they can download all stored codes and manually test all systems to pinpoint the root issue.

3. 2005 Jeep Wranler Sport - showing P0700 code - how do I differentiate betwen a PC or transmision problm>