Q: Problems with my catalytic converter

I am not quite sure what is wrong with my car. I believe it may be the catalytic converter.

A: Lets talk about the catalyst converter and ...

Lets talk about the catalyst converter and what kind of problems it can cause a car to have when it fails. One of the most common types of failures is when it just quits doing its job. The computer has sensors before and after the converter they monitor the exhaust to see if the converter is doing its job of removing harmful contaminants from your vehicles exhaust. When the computer sees that the converter is no longer being a good filter it will set codes. These codes turn on your Check Engine Light. Although most likely you would feel no difference in the running of your car, your car would fail an emission test. Now another way a converter can fail is the plates inside of it can weld together and form a plug in the exhaust, if your engine runs long enough with this restriction it can cause damage, I have seen it cause head gasket failure even melt plastic intakes. But the good part here is you won't need a light to know you will have a problem because your car would have lost power, you would be towing or driving it to the nearest shop. And finally another way for the converter to cause you issues those plates we just talked about, occasionally they can break loose inside and when they do it causes a very annoying rattle. This rattle can occur at different times under different conditions. If your car is having any of those issues, have a mechanic take a look at it for you to see if you need a catalytic converter replacement.