Q: Problem with starting - 2006 BMW 330xi

Hi! 5 months ago serepantin belt was torn. The belt and pulley/adjuster were replaced a piece from the torn belt was lodged behind the harmonic balancer which led to an oil leak from front crankshaft seal. Crankshaft seal was replaced and solved the issue. Shortly after as weather got colder it toke much longer and more tries for car to start till one day it stopped starting all together no power no crank nothing at all. I replaced the battery and it started. A day after on a very cold night car will make starting sound and attempt to start but stops after a minute after few tries smoke speared from underneath the car mainly and from underneath the manifold. Battery was replaced again with one with higher cca but still won't start. Do I need a higher cca battery or have the starter gone bad ? Could it possibly have to do with the previous replacement of crankshaft seal ? Please help thanks

Hello. There are some possibilities here, but what concerns me the most is the smoke. I would definitely look for where the smoke was coming from.

To solve a problem like this I would not put in a larger battery. The battery that is the correct size for the vehicle is all that is needed.

It does sound like the starter may have failed and that is where the smoke is coming from, or it can be another electrical short. I usually trace the circuit with a voltage meter to find out of there is voltage getting to the starter.

In a worst case scenario it may be a major engine issue that has caused the engine to seize which will cause the smoke as the starter cannot crank the engine.

If you are planning on having this starting issue fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose why it is not starting and repair it.

3. Problem with starting - 2006 BMW 330xi