A new battery in need of emergency replacement? lexus 201...

Q: A new battery in need of emergency replacement?

asked by on February 20, 2017

For a '11 Lexus RX 350, a single battery test read CCA: 580, volts: 10.53, and state of health: low. This was after the trunk door was left open for several hours during an event. It drove fine and bright during a one-hour trip (heavy traffic in the rain) to a Lexus dealership for a prior oil change indication. Would the reading mean the battery may likely only need a recharge, water, or something else relatively easily; thus, not immediately a new battery replacement as the (newly realized BBB F-rated) dealership recently recommended with a purchase-from-them sense of urgency? Thank you for an honest battery test expertise.

Hello, Although it would be impossible to say definitively, how long your battery would have otherwise lasted, 10.53 volts is extremely low. A normal battery will generally last for 4 to 5 years. If yours was anywhere near that mark, it may have been time ti replace it regardless. Additionally, there are a variety of factors that play a part in a battery’s health as well such as temperature. A battery’s power will drastically be reduced in very cold temperatures as batteries operate based upon chemical reactions taking place inside the battery, which is what generates the power they produce. If you require additional help with this, please reach out to us here at YourMechanic as we are always here to help.