Q: How do I know if my tie rod is bad

asked by on September 29, 2016

It's making a knocking sound when I slow down

When the tie rod end starts to wear, it’s commonly due to excessive abuse (like driving on bumpy roads or being hit by blunt objects like curbs and pot holes). Frequently, the part that wears out in the tie rod end is actually the bushing, but it’s recommended to replace the tie rods and bushings if they are damaged.

Some of the symptoms you can look for include, excessive tire wear (most of the time on the inner portion of the tires), the steering wheel shakes at lower speeds and progressively gets worse as you accelerate, or if your Dodge Intrepid pulls to the left or right when you let go of the steering wheel.

If you need help in diagnosing or replacing the tie rod, one of our ASE certified mechanics can assist you at your home or office.