Q: Possible to drive without front differential?

I have a 2000 Olds Bravada. My front left axel broke and the right is bent. The differential is damaged but still working, but no idea for how much longer. I can afford to get the axels replaced, but not both the axels and the differential. If I do have the axels replaced, and the differential goes out, will the vehicle still be fine to drive in normal conditions? I know the AWD won't work, but this vehicle is RWD in normal conditions anyhow.

If the vehicle has manually selectable 4WD, then you can get away with this, but it’s obviously not ideal. If the vehicle is not selectable and is instead a full time AWD, then you cannot do this, as the car will put all the power to the front differential because it doesn’t have any resistance. If you decide to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a qualified technician can help you with the replacement of your axle.

3. Possible to drive without front differential?