Q: Compressor shaft seal leak

I use a maxima 2004.This year march till date have changed compressor three times due to shaft seal leak. The mechanics in my state don't seem to understand what has been causing the leak. Could it be a blockage in the ac system forcing the compressor to leak? Can u help me identify what seems to make all the compressor I bought to be leaking oil at the shaft.

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Put a manifold set (A/C gauge set) on the A/C ports and check the system when it is running on high A/C. Look to see what the pressures are on the high side and the low side.

For normal use, the pressures should be 55 to 20 on the low side and 250 to 170. If the pressures are higher on the high side and exceeding the limits, then the seal on the pump will blow out. If the A/C has high pressures, then the FOT (fixed orifice tube) is plugged up and needs replaced. However, make sure that the A/C oil is in the system for the compressor or the compressor seal will leak. If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your A/C problem.