Q: power steering whining

Initially i had a small leak in my ps hose but it never made any noise. I had it and some sensor thing that was hooked onto it replaced. It immediately began whining and the mechanic said I needed to replace the pump. After I replaced the pump it definitely wasn't as loud but still whines. My boyfriend drained the fluid and replaced it because it was dark and still it whines. Wtf?

Hi there. When it comes to the power steering system and a whining noise as you’ve described, the reason for the noise is two-fold. First, it can be caused by lower levels of power steering fluid. However, most likely, this issue is caused by small air bubbles trapped in the hydraulic lines. As pressure is applied by turning the steering wheel, the fluid moves through the system. Inconsistency in the fluid lines can create a whining sound you’re describing. The best thing to do is have a professional mechanic complete power steering fluid service, so they can hopefully solve this problem.