Q: Possible issue with transmission

Hi,

Thanks for taking attention of my problem.

I'm driving a 2007 Audi A4 1.8T and I started noticing a problem last night after engaging into D gear. The main issue is that upon releasing the brakes after engaging, I find the car to not be moving much at all - or even not move in some instance, and upon accelerating slightly, the RPM increases for a bit before the car jerks forward greatly. Some additional info;

• Problem seems to occur in this pattern - When I reversed, and engaged D after that i.e. when parking and adjusting.

• If I start my car the next day and go into P, there's no problem.

• It occurred once when I was a traffic stop and moving off.

• No fault codes

• Doesn't seem to have a transmission oil leak (according to a mechanic)

• Mechanic recommends taking the transmission apart and basically overhauling

• Mechanic suggests that replacing transmission oil will not help

• Car has around 90K Miles and is 9 years old.

Looking forward to responses.

A: It sounds like your transmission may be hav...

It sounds like your transmission may be having trouble building up enough oil pressure to engage the clutches while it is idling. The oil transmission oil pump runs off of the input shaft and runs at engine speed. When things get tired, be it the fluid thinning out or the clearances in the transmission getting larger, it takes a little more speed to build up the pressure you need to operate. You step on the gas, engine speed increases slightly, and then bam there is suddenly enough pressure to engage the clutch. Changing the fluid may not help, often by the time a problem gets bad enough to notice like this, the damage has already been done. But it could help, and it might get you a few more miles of service out of the transmission. There is one caveat - the fluid used has to be the FACTORY fluid. Since the late nineties, transmission makers have all been developing their own fluids and any substitutions can lead to more problems. If you would like to move forward with a transmission fluid service before taking it to the transmission shop, a certified technician from YourMechanic can perform this at your car's location. It honestly may not be the complete solution to your problem, but it could temporarily help before you decide to bring the car in for a full transmission repair.