Q: pops out of 3rd gear unless i hold it there

My truck won't stay in 3rd gear unless I hold it there all the other gears seem fine what could be the problem

A: First checks would be inspection of shift l...

First checks would be inspection of shift lever, ball, and internal components of shift tower. Try to determine if it is actually going all the way into 3rd. Popping out of gear can be caused by wear in shift forks, worn shift shaft or detent /spring area as well as other internal transmission parts. That is a lot of miles on that transmission. A mechanic with manual transmission experience will be able to inspect and diagnose your shifting issue for you.