Q: Poor quality door handles falling apart

asked by on November 02, 2015

Overall I'm pretty happy with my 2010 Hyundai Elantra. I've driven it 30,000 miles and the only problem I have is with the flimsy handles on the inside of the front doors. The chrome started chipping off within the first two months of ownership and recently, I cut my hand on the driver's side handle! I didn’t need more than a bandaid, but this should be an avoidable problem. Is there a quick fix to stop this without making the handles look ugly?

The material from which manufacturers make the chrome can be sharp, causing injury as it peels off. The safest and most effective means to prevent further harm is to replace the handles. Being that your car is a 2010 and under 60,000 miles, your handles may still be covered under warranty service campaign 15-01-005. Call your Hyundai dealer with your VIN to see if you’re covered. If you are outside of warranty, you can make an appointment with YourMechanic to have your door handles replaced.