Q: Oil Leak

Have a slow oil leak towards the front. I have already replaced the front crankshaft seal and the oil pan gasket. What else could it be? Slow leak as in if I change my oil, by 3000 miles I am bone dry.

Slow leaks can be difficult to find. Sometimes it can come down to the trick of putting a dye in the oil that glows under UV light and then you can see the leak glowing when you shine the black light on it.But before going there, let’s talk about the crankcase vent. One of the valve covers should have a hose that connects to the engine intake. This is to draw in the fumes from the crankcase and to keep a slight negative pressure on it. The valve cover itself will have some baffles and maybe a screen in it to prevent liquid oil from passing into the intake. Over time these screens become clogged and the crankcase cannot ventilate. The result is that pressure builds up in the crankcase and oil leaks out the seals. Cleaning out the screens and baffles can make a big difference in oil consumption. Your truck is old enough and has enough miles to where this could be your problem. If you decide you want to get someone to take care of this for you, contact YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your oil leak and let you know what is the solution.