Q: My 2002 Nissan Altima seems to have a power steering fluid leak somewhere. I am constantly having to add fluid, and have noticed t

asked by on August 28, 2017

I have to add power steering fluid to my vehicle around every two weeks or so. Around two weeks after refilling, the resivour is almost completely empty. What is left of the fluid is a very milky white color, when the fluid I put in starts out clear. What are the odds I need to replace the power steering pump? Could it just be a hose leak or something less expensive than relpacing the pump?

Power steering fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. You are on the right track. The power steering pump is a very common place to develop leaks. Hoses, lines, the rack, and the gear box are also common places you will find a leak. The only way to be sure, is to physically find where the leak is coming from. A line or a hose leak would be cheaper, and you can double check all of the lines and their fittings to be sure. Start and run the vehicle with a full supply of power steering fluid in the car. Turn the wheel clock to clock (all the way one direction, then the other) to raise the fluid pressure to its maximum, and try to force the leak to show itself. If you are having trouble finding the leak, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr