Q: Engine swap. And it doesn't start!! 2005 Dodge Ram 1500

asked by on December 12, 2016

I have a 2005 ram 1500 that the engine overheated. So i went and bought one off a 2003 ram 1500.(identical) everything fits. Now the motor is good ive seen it start and run just fine ....ok. Now i put it in my 2005. And it will not start. Everything is correct where it needs to be. Idk. What else could be wrong. Now im getting some opinions from my coworkers that it could be that the injectors not getting spark. Because the of a sensor at the crank shatff or something like that. Can anyone. Advice me alittle

Hello - engine swaps always seem harder than they should be! In your case, a "no start" condition, being skeptical of the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) is a good idea, and easy to check. If there is no spark at the plugs, this would help confirm the CPS failure. If the injectors are not firing either (check with a "noid" light), that would just about confirm the CPS as bad (or its wiring). Hopefully, you received and installed all the accessories (ignition module, etc) from the known working engine. For assistance in sorting this out, I would recommend an engine inspection](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection) by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.