Q: Poor gas mileage

asked by on August 15, 2016

Lately, I haven't been satisfied with the gas mileage of the car. I was thinking about installing a turbo or twin turbo. Would it improve the MPG and increase car performance? What about the horsepower?

Turbochargers are for producing more power from a smaller size engine. Fuel economy is not maintained when a turbocharger is used. Turbos only operate under a power request of the throttle position. They introduce more air into the engine, and with more air, you need more fuel. Turbos will increase engine performance but not MPG. Installation of a turbocharger can be quite expensive. If you would like to have this looked at, a local expert from YourMechanic can come to the site of your car inspect the fuel mileage problem and let you know what needs repair.