Q: Paint from the factory not holding up

The paint on my 2010 Hyundai Elantra has not held up over the few years I've owned it and makes the vehicle look like it's 20 years old! The clear coat has faded and flakes off all over the place, which is going to hurt my resale value. I've tried so many things to restore the clear coat on the paint but nothing has worked. Is there an easier solution, other than just having my car repainted? It would be cheaper to sell it all chipped and faded. I'm really disappointed as this car has only 65,000 miles on it!

A: Paint issues are a common problem on newer ...

Paint issues are a common problem on newer cars. The paint currently used by manufacturers doesn’t have all the chemicals and compounds it did in the past due to environmental regulations which reduce emissions and waste. The only way to repair clear coat issues is to have the area sanded and clear coat re-applied. To help prevent paint from further damage, a few precautions can be taken. You may want to avoid going to car wash facilities as they often use a very strong soap which can cause paint damage over time. If you wash your car regularly yourself, use a proper car wash soap rather than dish washing liquid. Car wash soap is easier on the paint. To help paint last longer, clay barring the paint once a year and keeping the car waxed will aid in keeping the paint from peeling and fading.