Q: P0755 & P0700 error codes

Car has never had transmission problems but is in 2nd gear limp mode after hitting brakes in rush hour traffic. 2 days before I replaced 2 tires on car. Used tires no balancing. Several months ago I had a fuse blow under hood in the power distribution center. I frequently replaced the 20 amp yellow fuse in cavity 8 to start the car. That is recent history. I am not willing to replace/rebuild transmission. I will trade In if so. What is the most likely fix and cost of that fix in this scenario? Or is it new car time? Thanks!

A: The problem with buying used tires and not ...

The problem with buying used tires and not having them balanced is the potential problems they can cause.

Most transmissions - or more specifically, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) which controls the transmission and drive line - contain incredibly tight tolerance standards in regards to wheel speed, which, when combined with engine RPM, controls shift points. If two tires are not equally-sized (and this could be as minimal as 1/4" of total circumference), it could trigger the 2nd gear limp mode, along with the P0700 generic trouble code.

There are two things you should do before thinking about selling your vehicle:

1. Verify that the two used tires you bought are of the same manufacturer and style, and have tread depth readings within 2/32nd’s of each other on the front axle.
  2. Have a qualified mechanic inspect the issues you’re having with the blown fuse; an electrical short could be triggering many of these warning lights.