Q: Gas pedal not working

asked by on February 25, 2016

The gas pedal stopped working while I was driving the car. I can press it, but the car does not accelerate.

Hello. Your car is equipped with an electric throttle actuator, so there is no mechanical link between the gas pedal and the throttle valve. The gas pedal in your car is just a sensor that tells the computer how much throttle is being requested and the computer opens the throttle valve to determine what you are asking for.

As your car is computer controlled, it should be scanned for codes and data. If there are no codes, there could be an input that the computer is seeing that is not letting the computer open the throttle valve. A common cause for this is the stop lamp switch sending an incorrect signal by being stuck or misadjusted as per TSB NTB14-107. The mechanic should be able to determine why your gas pedal is not working.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr