Q: Overdrive won't engage when going uphill, revs high

My car would not engage the overdrive when I'm driving uphill. In these sitations, it seems that the engine would blow as it revs extremely high and I have to disengage the overdrive with the shift button. Then, if I engage the overdrive again, the car runs okay. Why is this happening?

A: Hello. If the problem comes and goes it may...

Hello. If the problem comes and goes it may be one of the shift solenoids. It is common for these to fail and have problems causing them to stick which will cause this. I typically start by checking the computer for codes to see if anything comes up. If that does not reveal an issue, then the transmission pressures need to be checked. If you are going to have the vehicle looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this for you.