Q: Oil relief valve issue shortly after oil was changed

I had my oil changed yesterday. As soon as I got home noticed oil everywhere. The mechanic came and got car. After examining it, said the oil relief valve let go and charged me an additonal 250. I found it hard to believe that the valve would just happen to break immediately after having oil changed!!!! They refuse to take any blame. Thoughts???

I’m curious as to what "weight" of oil they put in. Most manufacturers now warn against using anything heavier than 10W30 for oil pressure relief valve (overpressure on cold start) reasons. While this is not common, overpressure due to a sticking oil pressure relief valve can occur. The oil filter would look "inflated" like a balloon fixing to burst - which in fact yours evidently did. It’s more common to have an oil filter overtightened, rupturing the oil seal ring, or not tightened enough, and it vibrates loose.

It’s hard to find a path to satisfaction here - comes down to trust and prior experience with the shop. If you want to take a different route in the future, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to service your vehicle.

3. Oil relief valve issue shortly after oil was changed