Clunking under acceleration impala 2005 v6-3.8l clunking ...

Q: Clunking under acceleration

asked by on March 15, 2016

I hear a clunking when accelerating in my car.

Sounds like you might have a broken motor mount. Broken mounts are a common issue and easily fixable. Most front wheel drive cars have 3 engine mounts and 2 transmission mounts. Some have additional torque mounts, so no need to panic your engine isn’t going anywhere. When a motor mount breaks the other mounts help keep the engine where it needs to be. At first we don’t notice the mount being broken because of that, but as time goes on the other mounts get overworked and weaken. This is when we start hearing the clunk. The clunk is nothing more than the engine shifting positions in the engine compartment. Once the broken mount is replaced, the clunk will go away. Get a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you identify which mount/s are broken and replace them. Letting them go for too long will weaken the other mounts and you many end up replacing another one soon after the broken one is fixed.