Q: I need suggestions for how to cheaply seal or cover my sunroof. Please help!

asked by on May 09, 2016

My sunroof is partially open about a couple of inches and is stuck that way. I can't open it or close it at all. It costs over $2,000 to fix it and it's worth more than the car. I want to take it to Oregon but I can't with the sunroof the way it is. I am wondering what I can use to seal or fix or patch up the couple of inches so that way water cannot get inside. Would spray insulation work? Or something else?

I have seen people seal their sun roofs with a clear vinyl cover (decal type). I would try to find a business that makes vinyl wraps for cars or boats and talk to them.

Also, check the fuses for the sunroof. But if the sunroof still makes noise but does not move, one of the plastic pieces of the track is probably damaged which explains the expensive repair. Sometimes you can get lucky by toggling the switch open and closed while a helper tries to force the glass closed. When you want to get this issue repaired, a certified mechanic can diagnose what’s exactly wrong with the sunroof and make the necessary repairs to get it working again.