Q: Oil pressure and battery light stay on when ignition is off.

I noticed about a week ago that when I turn my car off and take the key out, the oil light and battery light stay on. This drained my battery until it died. I got it checked and charged and replaced the alternator to be safe. I also for the oil changed at a shop.

The problem persists. I have checked all connections and everything Looks okay. What could cause the oil pressure and battery light to stay on after the car is off? I have to keep unhooking the battery to keep it from draining while it sits. Note, the aforementioned lights turn off once I turn the igition on.

A: Hello. If this is occurring, then there is ...

Hello. If this is occurring, then there is a short in the electrical someplace. Most of the time, the issue is in the ignition switch. The switch fails internally and causes some circuits to stay on which will drain the battery. It can also be a short in the harness or in the fuse box but the ignition switch is the most common on this car.

If you want to have this electrical issue checked out, consider having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to inspect the electrical system and suggest any necessary repairs.